AN ASSESSMENT OF HEALTH INSURANCE SYSTEM IN YOBE STATE FROM ISLAMIC PERSPECTIVE: A CASE STUDY OF YSCHMA
The objective of this article is to analyze and assess the Yobe State Contributory Health Care Management Agency (YSCHMA) from Islamic perspective to ascertain its compatibility or incompatibility with the approved Islamic insurance or Takaful. The study is based on both secondary and secondary data on Takaful, health insurance scheme and the YSCHMA. YSCHMA was introduced in the year 2020 by the Yobe State Government as all-inclusive health care insurance. The aim of the agency is to fast-track the achievement of Universal Health Coverage through effective pooling of resources and strategic purchasing of qualitative and affordable healthcare services. The finding of the study indicates that a clear Islamic view point on this insurance agency is necessary to avoid indulging in prohibited transactions. In modern-day conventional insurance, the insurance vendor (the insurance company) sells policies and invests the proceeds for the profit of its shareholders, who are not necessarily policyholders. There is, therefore, a clear disjunction between policyholders and shareholders. Payouts to policyholders may vary depending on financial performance, but a minimum positive return is always contractually guaranteed. This seems to be weighing risk and burden of uncertainty upon some parties, while Sharia considers any transaction as a humane. It should relieve parties from the burden of uncertainty and do away with perpetual win-lose affairs. The paper evaluates and examines the compatibility of YSCHMA with Takaful. The paper assesses the risk and uncertainties revolving around its shadow, its functions, types of Takaful and concluded by poring over the similarities and differences between the YSCHMA and Takaful. The paper found out that YSCHMA can fall into family Takaful if some minor amendments can be made. The paper adopts qualitative method in obtaining and analyzing the data.
• Ahmad, N. M., Salleh, M. M. &Halim, M. A. (2019). ‘The right to gamble’: An analysis of gambling ‘industries’ in Malaysia from constitutional and legal perspectives. Malaysian Journal of Syariah and Law (MJSL), Vol. 7 (2): 101.
• Ahmed, M. Y, Supaat D. I. & Salleh, Z. I (2017). "Nigerian National Health Insurance Agency under the islamic perspective: A literature review". Journal of Education and Social Sciences, Vol. 6, P. 18-22.
• Barakah, D. M. & Al-Saleh, S. A. (2011).The Cooperative Insurance in Saudi Arabia: A Nucleus to health Reform Policy. International Conference on Information and Finance (IPEDR) vol .21,Pp. 6-10.
• Cheikh, B. (2013). Abstract To Islamic Insurance (Takaful).Insurance and Risk Management, vol. 81(3-4): 291.
• Farooq, M. O. (2012). Exploitation, Profit and the Riba-Interest Reductionism. International Journal of Islamic and Middle Eastern Finance and Management, Vol. 5 Iss: 4
• Insurance Information Institute (2010). Insurance Handbook: A guide to insurance: what it does and how it works. Insurance Information Institute, New York.
• IRDA (2016).Introduction to insurance.Insurance Regulatory DeveopmentAuthority of India, Hyderabad-500 004. India. www.irda.gov.in
• Jubilee (2017).Family Takaful: Wealth Smart Takaful Plan. Jubilee Life Insurance Company Ltd. www.jubileefamilytakaful.com.
• Lehtonen, T. &Hoyweghen, I. (2014). Editorial: Insurance and the economization of uncertainty. Journal of Cultural Economy, 7 (4): 532-540.
• Majmudar, P. I. & Parikh, N. K. (2008).Uncertainty in General Insurance and Solvency Issues. 10th Global Conference of Actuaries
• Muhammat, A.A., Jaafar, M. N. &Alwi, S. F. (2017). General Takaful claims: An experience of Takaful operator in Malaysia. Journal of Emerging Economies & Islamic Research 5 (4): 18 – 26.
• Outreville, J. F. (1998). Insurance Concepts. DOI: 10.1007/978-1-4615-6187-3_8. https://www.researchgate.net/publication/302362509
• Pingle, M. (2010).Using gambling to teach insurance principles.Insurance Markets and Companies: Analyses and Actuarial Computations, Vol. 1 (2): 82-91.
• Questions in Islam (2013). “What is Gambling? What is the view of Islam on Gambling?” https://questionsonislam.com/question/what-gambling-what-view-islam-gambling
• Sharifuddin, S. S., Kasmoen, A. A., Taha, N. H., Talaat, N. A., &Talaat, A. Z. (2016). The Concept of Takaful (Islamic Insurance) and Its Functions in the Establishment of Syarikat Takaful Malaysia; the First Takaful Operator in Malaysia.International Journal of Humanities and Social Science Invention, 5 (12): 43.
• Tech Insurance (2022b). What is risk? Retrieved from: https://www.techinsurance.com/insurance-terms/insurable-risk
• World Health Organization WHO (2010).
• YSCHMA (2020). Complete Background of Yobe State Contributory Scheme Management Agency.
Copyright (c) 2022 https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc/4.0/
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.